Online Gambling is becoming an increasingly popular form of gambling, and there are now an estimated 1,700 gambling websites on the Internet. As well as the Internet, you can now gamble through interactive television and a mobile phone.
The convience of gambling at home, the ease of setting up an gambling account and the variety of forms of gambling - from traditional betting, to casino gambling, bingo and lotteries - makes online gambling very appealing.
However, whilst many people gamble online without any problems GamCare has started to see an increase in the amount of people contacting our helpline and counselling services who are losing control of their gambling online.
There are some factors of online gambling that could certainly increase the risk of developing a gambling problem. These are:
- The ability to gamble 24 hours a day in your own home
- The incresed risk of exposure and access by children
- The absorption of computers, leading people to lose track of time whilst gambling
- The decrease in the perception of the value of cash - i.e. players are forgetting that they are spending money
If you are currently gambling online or want to in the future, and are wary of the need to keep control of your gambling, the tips below should help.
- Keep track of the time that you are playing for.
- Only spend what you can afford to lose, keep track of your spend whilst playing and remember that the numbers on the screen are REAL MONEY
Avoid chasing your losses
If you're a parent keep your password safe, and if you wish, use software to block access to gambling sites from minors
Look for sites with options where you can set your own spend and session limits, which should help you to control your gambling
If you are having a problem then you can request to be self-excluded from the site. There is also software that blocks access to all online gambling sites. See
www.gamblock.com for more details.
Get Help Now!
There are several organisations looking after players who developed a gambling problem in the UK and abroad. Here are some of the options available to players. Longer list of organisations and groups is available here.